Miraculous modern medicine


No, it wasn’t the court-mandated Lobotomy (I’m still appealing that).

Nope, despite the rumors, it wasn’t a procedure to reduce my manhood to merely human proportions of length and girth.

Nope, it wasn’t an attempt to polish the black tarnish off of my heart.

Nor was it to install a sense of propriety.

Nor to install a conscience, or a sense of shame.

Not a failed attempt to replace the marbles that I have lost, Nor to sharpen my wit. Nor dull my sense of humor. Not even to tighten up all the loose screws in my head


It was laparoscopic abdominal surgery. Yes, it went well.


And yes, I am healing nicely. Pretty cool that at this point, approximately (more or less-ish), 48 hours after what was once pretty major surgery, I am walking around with only minor pain and some bruising.

I’m not ready to run a marathon yet, but I could wrassle a tiger……if it was a kitten…and maybe 4 days old. And sleepy. But actually I am pretty good for the timeframe.

Thanks to MC for making sure I was ok during the first day or so.


Again, thanks for all the well-wishes, both in comments and emails.


7 thoughts on “Miraculous modern medicine

  1. Olden times (when I started out): gutted like a fish, ribs to hips. 1-2 weeks in hospital, footlong scar, potential for complications about 50%.

    Now: In by 6, out by 5, 2-3 relatively tiny 1″ scars, coupla days at home, back at it the following week. Chance of complications, maybe 1-2%.

    Happy healing.

  2. Be glad you had this procedure done before the growing competency crisis makes such a procedure a very real risk of living or dying.

  3. Gall Bladder? Had mine out 5 years ago. The stone was twice the size of the bladder. Caused the surgeon to work for his farthing.

  4. Yup, deduced it was a cholecystectomy like Steve did. Any large stones? I had one done in 2010 and my surgeon definitely had work double-time, mine was adhered to the underside of the Right lobe, how it extended and got there is anybody’s guess. I was up and chasing the wife and resumed normal ADLs within a week or so.

  5. If it was gall bladder, get an ultrasound to follow up. When mine was removed via laparoscopic procedure two weeks after an episode of passing gall stones, they missed a stone in the common bile duct (connects the liver, pancreas and gall bladder to the duodenum). Several months later the stone shifted, blocked the common bile duct, which started an infection causing the liver to start shutting down. It was barely caught in time – symptoms were 104 fever, abdominal pain and constant vomiting, so it was hard to ignore – the stone was removed with an endoscopic procedure and a stent installed to keep the duct open and I got 6 days of IV antibiotics (both arms) to stop the sepsis. Released on day 7 with a bucketful of oral antibiotics. 4 weeks later outpatient endoscopy to remove the stent.

    All of which could have been prevented had the surgeon done an ultrasound at the 2-week followup for the laparascopy (assuming that would have found the retained stone, but the ultrasound tech in the ER had no trouble identifying it 5 months later, so….)

Comments are closed.