Spent Saturday night with my dog, Schmoo.
She fell about 3 am, and was unable to stand on her back legs. Tried to walk, but couldn’t stand and just fell over.
She is 14 years old.
If there was a decent emergency vet anywhere closer than Lafayette, I’d have taken her in then, but there isn’t.
So MC and I waited up all night with her. Carried her outside to do her business. Carried her back in. Comforted her. Tried to calm her fear. Held her close. I cursed my inability to help her.
It looks like she had a stroke. The vet I use finally returned my calls (She and I are gonna talk about that when things are over), and told me to wait and see if she recovers. She was right. Schmoo is recovering. How far she will recover remains to be seen, but progress is progress.
She can stand, but barely walk. (the dog, not the vet). We’ll see how tomorrow goes.
I am afraid that sooner rather than later I am going to have to make the decision all pet owners dread. May God grant me the strength and wisdom to know when, and the fortitude to make that decision.
I was supposed to do an NRA instructors class Sunday. That didn’t happen. Dunno if it will any time soon.
Gotta have priorities.
And nothing takes priority over my friends….2 legged or 4. Especially one of 14 years.
Jesus, I was so frightened for her. Still am.